Achen Henderson (“AH”) has experienced tremendous growth in its Canadian, US, and Cross-Border tax and compliance departments and we are looking for full-time Accountants. Applicants must be in the process of obtaining their CPA designation, or have recently become designated, and they must be comfortable serving clients in the public accounting firm environment.
As an Accountant at AH, you will work directly with our Tax and Compliance Leaders overseeing Canadian and US tax compliance for individuals, trusts, and corporations. Our Accountants train with some of Canada’s top experts in Canadian, US, and Cross-Border taxation. Achen Henderson will pay for any on-the-job training as well as completion of select professional designations, including the US CPA and the CPA Canada In-depth tax program.
Our Accountants will work closely with our Engagement Coordinator to monitor the status and timely completion of a large volume of client files in our workflow management software, and to follow up with client requests at regular intervals. This is a highly technical and detail-oriented role that requires focus on accuracy and adherence to workflow timelines and client deadlines.
On a strategic level, you will work directly with our Tax and Compliance Leaders to grow our tax and compliance services lines. You will be highly involved in designing and improving our client service delivery processes, including understanding and utilizing cloud-based technologies to manage our clients experience and expectations. You will have the opportunity to become a department leader at Achen Henderson as you progress. This role is highly engaging and highly interactive.
You will have the ongoing support of all AH resources, including our various professional teams, in order to deliver timely and accurate tax and compliance. Accounting and Canadian tax experience are required. US tax experience is a plus; however, we are accepting resumes from individuals who have an interest in learning US tax.
Salary, wages, benefits, and bonus are determined by your experience and fit. All our Stakeholders are paid near the top 10% in their respective areas of expertise.
Who are we and why do we exist?
Achen Henderson (“AH”) is a cutting edge, fast growing and well-established business success and professional services firm. We hire self-managed, highly motivated individuals who embody our shared Vision and Mission. AH deploys an innovative combination of technology and professional services that is unique in Canada. We offer flexible and remote work opportunities, broad professional growth potential, profit sharing and benefits.
AH is a leading-edge technology based financial services firm. We are tier 1 service providers and we’re here to help entrepreneurs and business leaders build great companies.
We believe that business leaders should have support to allow them to focus on the future and on increasing the value of their company. We believe that precise and immediate financial results, insights and guidance are critical for business leaders to realize their potential. We believe that technology is best suited to quickly and accurately capture and process data; and that people should be engaged in data entry as little as possible.
We believe in matching our destiny to our client’s successes which is why we charge based on value, not based on time.
We see problems as opportunities, and we say “no” to working with companies who do not share our Vision so that we can give the ones that do our focus.
We believe that our sum is greater than any one of us and that, together, we will increase the rate of private company success.
We deliver custom Managed Financial Services; we become our client’s virtual finance department.
We engage in mindful collaboration with our clients so that we can understand their goals and objectives. We form strategic alliances for our clients to ensure growth and opportunity.
We give business leaders the tools, information, and guidance they need to thrive, grow revenues, manage costs, make more informed decisions, and focus on what matters the most – their clients.
Our Core Values
- Timeliness: We are on time with all deliverables.
- Accountability: We hold each other accountable to our core values and the quality of our work.
- Transparency: We are open and honest at all times with ourselves, our Clients, and our Vendors.
- Leadership: We think and act like leaders every day, in every decision we make.
- Integrity: We do what we say we will do.
- Collaboration: We operate together, with our Clients, as a single coordinated effort that creates Value.
Ethos and Skills of an AH Accountant
- Extremely organized and focused on timely and accurate tax and compliance deliverables;
- Proficient communicator, open to feedback and willing to speak up when something needs improving;
- Team player and capable collaborator who can manage multiple projects at once and prioritize work assigned;
- Has a high capacity for learning, retention and logic. Our Accountants must become familiar with complex business systems and several cloud-based software solutions very quickly.
- Self-starter who will get comfortable with our existing systems quickly, and use their autonomy to transform and improve systems to improve our customer’s delivery model;
- Comfortable with Cloud computing; will work in an entirely SaaS based environment;
- A firm understanding of accounting and tax principles. Extensive accounting experience is required, tax experience is a plus.
Job requirement – Onboarding
Our Accountant’s role begins with assisting our Engagement Coordinator to review, arrange and gather information from existing and new clients for that month’s work. This is largely a technical role, using our cloud-based CRM, communication, and workflow management tools to organize and prioritize upcoming work.
The Engagement Coordinator’s role is in onboarding and collecting the up-front information required to complete a tax or compliance job; they work hand-in-hand with our Accountants. The Accountant’s role is to ensure the accurate and timely completion of that work, including requesting and following up on requests for outstanding information from clients, and managing client’s expectations. Accountants will report directly to the Tax and Compliance Leaders, and to their clients.
A sample work week for a Accountant might look something like this:
- Review a list of clients with outstanding information requests, follow up on them;
- Coordinate with the Tax Leader, Compliance Leader and Engagement Coordinator to understand the schedule of work for that week;
- Prepare personal tax and corporate yearend and tax files for review by our Compliance and Tax Leaders;
- Complete tax compliance projects assigned by your team Leaders during that week;
- Attend to feedback / clear review notes provided by the Compliance and Tax Leaders;
- Communicate regularly to the team regarding the progress of your work;
- Update workflow management tool to ensure that the status of all files is always up to date to create transparency across the organization as to the status of your work.
AH has well established and documented process maps for all internal functions. We use a comprehensive workflow management suite to keep track of ongoing work and to notify us of upcoming work. We offer comprehensive, on the job training to get you up to speed with our systems and your job requirements.
Our compliance services are well established and documented. You will start with the systems that we’ve built and the lessons that we’ve learned and make the role your own with a focus on accurate and timely deliverables. You are expected to refine existing systems and bookkeeping policies and design new ones to ensure a seamless and positive experience for our clients.
Although it is not a requirement, you are encouraged to participate in sales and marketing. We offer commission to any Stakeholder who organically secures new business for AH.
AH is a participation age company. All AH Stakeholders are accountable to all other AH Stakeholders and, of course, to our clients. You are expected to provide regular (at least bi-weekly) progress reports as to the status and progress of your work to the entire team during team check-ins.
You are expected to participate in various AH cross functional leadership teams depending on your desires and competencies. Cross functional teams may include: Marketing, Finance, Human Resources, Process Design, Compliance, Administration.
Each Stakeholder at AH is encouraged to participate in setting out their own performance metrics based on their abilities and contributions. Below are examples of performance metrics on which you will be measured for the purposes of profit sharing:
- Accuracy, measured by errors in tax figures or accounting – or lack thereof;
- Timeliness, measured by on-time deliverables;
- Efficiency, measured by the automation of as many data entry tasks as possible, lessening human inputs wherever possible;
- Client satisfaction, measured by client surveys and referrals;
- Issue identification, measured by new services delivered or solutions presented;
We offer a base salary which will vary widely depending on the ethos, experience, and fit of the candidate + sales commissions after 6-months + profit sharing after 1-year + on the job training. We offer a great medical and insurance benefits package after 3-months of employment, including an HSA and a wellness account. We welcome you to work in our South Calgary office, and we also provide great technology for working remotely.